County Hotel in Kendal
The County Hotel is the first of Daish's "Town and Country" hotels, situated in Kendal, the gateway to the Lake District.
The hotel re-opened in May 2019 after a 4 month renovation period. We have completely revamped the whole hotel increasing it to 41 bedrooms. The bar and communal areas have been given a contemporary look and feel to them, yet still retain the period features of this Grade II listed building.
In keeping with the first Daish's hotel, the County Hotel is another historic site. Buildings have been on this site since 1611 although it is not until 1833 when a town map actually names the building as an inn. Records from 1776 suggest the inn was known as the Lowther Arms, a name the building was to retain until the railway came to Kendal in 1832. It then went through several names until finally being named the County Hotel in 1910.
It is believed that the building started life as a coaching inn and underwent changes at the turn of the 20th century to take on the appearance, from Station Road that it has now. The extension along Wildman Street was added sometime after 1924, as the hotel took on an ‘L’ shaped footprint. The building’s façade retains many of its original features including stone quoins on the corners of the building, moulded cornices and window surrounds with pediments over the main entrance door and windows immediately above.